FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: SCHOOL SHOES Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words school and/or shoe, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on August 16th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: School Shoes will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 17th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, August 16, 2024

Mary Langer Thompson

Ben


He walks the dim halls

past the Stuart Little mural,

shoes on the wrong feet,

no socks, bowlegged,

his shorts showing bony legs

like shrunken baseball bats.

He recalls hearing a teacher say,

"Ben, wasn't that a movie

about a kid who played with rats?"

He wishes people would stop thinking

he plays with scary animals,

although he'd almost rather do anything

than be at this school

where he floats like a ghost that

teachers are trying to give form to

by reading nonsense rhymes--

dat, gat, jat, lat, rat....

He would like someone to fix him,

to at least say hello to him

as he stands framed in the principal's doorway,

a scribbled teacher's note crumpled in his hand.

He eyes the red licorice whips on her desk and

hunger and fear mix in his stomach.

When she doesn't look up

he returns to wander the dark hallway.




Bobby Bartleby

School Bell Villanelle

 

I ain’t talkin’, no matter what she does.

“Why were you sent up here in the first place?”

she asks. And I say nothin’. Just because.

 

"Why aren’t you working? Don’t give me those shrugs.”

I’ll show no tear, no smile on my face.

I ain’t talkin’, no matter what she does.

 

She asks if I know who Bartleby was.

I stare at her throat, her blouse and its lace.

She repeats. I say nothin’.  Just because.

 

She’s gettin’ real mad. I hear a fly buzz.

She might punch me out. I look down, in case.

I ain’t talkin’, no matter what she does.

 

She yells. Suddenly there's a great big pause.

She’ll kick me out. Says this is not a race.

She has time. I say nothin’. Just because.

 

She goes on. Blah, blah, blah, ifs, whens, and huh's?

Yeah, whatever. She's enjoyin this chase.

I’m not talkin’, no matter what she does.

I will always say nothin’. Just because.




Moon Over Back-to-School Night

 

After my talk

about standards,

lessons and assessments

for the year ahead,

I pack up my notes,

the classroom empty

of concerned parents.

 

Outside, I am struck by

an orange, first-quarter moon,

and it occurs to me

what I should have said--

 

even the moon

waxes and wanes,

 

it takes some time

to reach one's brightest phase,

 

even what we cannot see

is often still there.

 

Or, perhaps I should have told them

raise your eyes and gaze

upon where our children

will one day walk.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dayna Leslie Hodges

A Hat Two Sizes Too Big A little girl wearing a hat two sizes too big pulled down over her face   has pulled her knee socks up over her skin...