FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: SCHOOL SHOES Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words school and/or shoe, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on August 16th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: School Shoes will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 17th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, August 16, 2024

CLS Sandoval

My Old School Shoes


Saddle Shoes, Keds, Saltwater Sandals

Almost always purchased by Mom from Nordstrom

I didn’t realize there was another store really

Pristine and perfect that Thursday before Labor Day in fall when we went back to our round pink stucco building

The one with the fifth-grade classrooms and library in the center

Where those shoes carried me from classroom to classroom

From multipurpose room to playground

Losing their squeaky-clean day by day

Until mid-June, when the souls were worn, and my toes were crunched, and it was time to buy my summer shoes




The First Day of School


Each year, I awaken my daughter to have her rush down the stairs toward the front door in her brand-new outfit complete with brand new shoes

As much as it’s important for her to be awake and ready for the school day, she knows that there’s a photo shoot before she walks out the door

Each year those footsteps become surer and heavier as she pads toward the exit of our house

Once so very tiny, her shoes have increased in size each year

Now she’s only three sizes smaller than me

I wonder if by the time she’s in high school she’ll be borrowing my shoes or I’ll be borrowing hers




Footprints


In Poway’s Green Valley, I took the bus one year

I would have to walk down the long winding private drive to the main road with a sidewalk in the morning

In the afternoon, back up the hill, over leaves, through the bamboo maze, sometimes up the grassy part of our yard, other times all the way up the asphalt drive

Each day, leaving a bit of an impression of those shoes my mom so carefully selected with me to be sure that my arches and toes and heels were supported

Those shoes would complement that perfect outfit hugging me all day we had to be separated, substituting for her hugs


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dayna Leslie Hodges

A Hat Two Sizes Too Big A little girl wearing a hat two sizes too big pulled down over her face   has pulled her knee socks up over her skin...