FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: SCHOOL SHOES Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words school and/or shoe, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on August 16th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: School Shoes will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 17th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, August 16, 2024

R A Ruadh

Walking lessons


I did not understand why

my shoes were so different

a little too big wide and clumpy

never the same colour as

the other kids’ shoes


As in so many other things

my shoes were the odd ones out

and didn’t fit in


I could not know then

that my mom bought them clumpy

for my extra wide feet

and a little too big so I could grow

into them during the school year

solid and durable and made to last


I could not know then

that her flat and unfashionable choices

would spare me decades of bunions

fallen arches and shortened tendons

as well as making it easier

to run uphill from the bullies

chasing me after school


I could not know then

that my footwear was giving me

a solid grounding in standing my ground

as well as nurturing an appreciation for

quality over quantity

comfort over capitulation to fashion slavery


Still I remember dreading

the beginning of the school year

slapping and flapping across the floor

in my clunky Buster Brown Mary Janes

while everyone else sported Bass loafers

with shiny new pennies


Today my sleek Danish ECCO Mary Janes

out walk and outlast my limping classmates

while my Dubarrys need neither pennies

nor apologies to my feet standing steady on the deck

as I haul on the brown sails of an old hooker

racing the sunset across Galway Bay

toward the Aran Islands and

a night of Guinness lubricated sean-nós

in a room full of shoes like mine

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dayna Leslie Hodges

A Hat Two Sizes Too Big A little girl wearing a hat two sizes too big pulled down over her face   has pulled her knee socks up over her skin...